I had a not-so-fancy Yoga mat that was many years old. When I resumed a regular Yoga practice recently with the Down Dog app(see the review here) at home and at my apartment building gym, it started peeling in several places. After a lot of research I decided to buy the Manduka PROlite. It has a sticky base that help immensely to keep the mat in place but it picks up a lot of dirt and whatever is there on the floor. And when rolling the mat the way yoga mats are usually folded, all this eek-y stuff from the floor used to come on the surface of the mat. I figured that this must be happening when you roll ANY yoga mat, it was just that with the Manduka PROlite, it was exaggerated and visible. Imagine all the sweat, dust, dirt, food crumbs, floor cleaning chemicals and the like, get on the surface of your Yoga mat- absolutely unhygienic.
This is the inspiration behind the post and info graphic- so I am here sharing with you the two solutions I figured out to roll the yoga mat properly- in a hygienic and clean way.
Firstly, it is important to clean your Yoga mat regularly. I use the Manduka Organic Yoga Mat Wash and Cleaner to clean my mat once a week. Here are the two options to fold your mat:
Update: We think we love this solution
Here comes the Koru Mat
The people from Koru mat got in touch with us to let us know about their launch, being a cleaner alternative to the traditional yoga mat. They are so right that the mats available are not made to be folded, and the only ones that are fold-able are travel mats, which are too thin or fold up like napkins. So they are have come up with a true fold and roll mat. The founder, a mother of three adorable girls, spent years researching and testing various materials and methods to create the most sanitary, durable, and functional mat to fold and roll.
Here is how the Koru fold and roll Yoga mat roll works:
Specifications of the Koru Mat
- The mat has an embossed line for easy folding and rolling
- The embossed line is slightly off-centered so that once the mat is folded and rolled, the two edges of the mat are aligned.
- PVC - 6P Free (Free of DBP, BBP, DEHP, DINP, DNOP, and DIDP Phthalates) / Latex Free
- SGS tested
- Size: 24" x 68"
- 6mm - Extra Support
- Dual-color - Top side: TEAL / Bottom side: NAVY
Review of the Yoga Mat
Heather let me know that her yoga instructor tested out the mat and this is the feedback she received:
- She initially thought it looked like a regular sticky mat, and thought it would be slippery at first. However, she was surprised that she wasn't slipping at all during her practice.
- She thought it had great traction, and the thickness provided great support on her knees (which are sensitive).
After hearing this we cannot wait to get our hands on the Koru Mat! Here is their story of how the Koru mat came to be. It is available for $39.95 on Amazon at the time of this post.
We leave you with a short explainer video of the Koru Mat: